Thursday, March 18, 2010

Hiya, buddy!

This is my first blog post in over three years. I haven't felt up to keeping a blog until yesterday, when, out of nowhere, I decided it was an excellent idea... so here I am! When I talked to my sister Haley today, she attributed my disinterest in writing for pleasure to my being forced to write academically for four years straight as an English major. This makes sense to me. As I near graduation, though, maybe I sense that I will need this outlet soon to keep me writing something...anything. We'll see.
Remember when you were seven and you would fill up one diary, so you'd get a new one and feel the need to re-introduce yourself to.. yourself? "Hi, I'm Hannah. I am seven yeers Old. I live in Yazoo City and I have two Cats and no dogs. my favorit color is purpel or lime green." I kind of feel the need to do that here, though I don't imagine that anyone reading this doesn't already know the basics. Just for good measure, here they are:
I hail from Hattiesburg, MS and I am the fourth of five children. My family is very close, and full of personality. I got married last October to my best friend, Daniel Meigs. We live in Nashville, TN with our dog Wilco and our cat Babs (short for Whore of Babylon). Daniel is a photographer, and a very talented one at that. (Am I allowed to say that? I promise I take no personal credit whatsoever for this.) You can view his work here. I am currently an undergrad student, but will soon graduate and be launched into the shadowy abyss that is job hunting. I am no fool- I am well aware that my Liberal Arts diploma would serve me better as a napkin than it will in my career. But alas... when I was but a sophomore, I came to realize that there was a major whose requirements I could meet by taking a course solely on the novels of Jane Austen... who could resist? (Okay... I can maybe think of a few people.)
I am an INFP personality. In short, I am intuitive, idealistic, empathetic, nurturing, and can be very driven and motivated when working at something I believe in. Though I tend to avoid conflicts and am generally a very gentle person, if one of my values (something or someone I care about) is threatened, I can become fierce.
I have recently been able to admit to slightly more people with slightly less embarrassment that I am an aspiring, albeit amateur fiction writer. I am taking a fiction workshop this semester, and after my professor talked to us about different ways to make a living writing fiction without necessarily being widely known or having a "big break," I now feel a little less like I'm announcing that I want to be a rock star when I grow up. I don't need recognition, but if I can write something that moves even one person, that will be so rewarding. I really take heart in knowing that hard work can pay off, even if you're never immortalized in the world of literature. My short-term goal is to get at least one short story published by the end of this year in a literary journal or online magazine. I may be posting drafts here for feedback.
As a hobby, I also enjoy songwriting. I'm not well-versed an any instruments but I am familiarizing myself with the guitar at the moment. I took lessons in High School so I know some basics, but I'm in a one hour course right now where we're learning to sight read, and I'm improving. Daniel plays mandolin and violin, so we've been having fun trying to play along with Patty Griffin and Denison Witmer lately. My friend Sarah Emily is a staff engineer at a studio in town, and we've recorded a couple of electronica/pop songs together. It's always fun to write lyrics for the music she programs and I am increasingly impressed by how talented she is.
I guess there's not much left to say about my life... tune in for more as things develop!

3 comments:

  1. Hannah! I'm so happy for this! It is long overdue, my friend. Can't wait to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yayy! A Hammer blog! Love the name, can't wait for more. Good to talk to you today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Aaron. Sweet. A blog. I'm excited. Now, you need to set it so that people can comment under "Name/URL" so they don't have to be connected to all sorts of social networking to give you a shout out. Hope you keep the posts coming, I'm looking forward to getting more glimpses into Hannah Land.

    ReplyDelete