Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Modest Child

Today I had an ultrasound to find out the sex of the baby. And guess what??

It's a boy-ish!

The umbilical cord was tucked between his knees the whole time so I'm going in again next week to see if we can get a better look. The tech was unable to get a very clear shot of his nether regions today but once he got the view you see above, he said he's 99% sure it's a boy and would be very surprised if it turned out to be a girl.

If this baby does turn out to be a girl, though, I'm definitely never letting her find out that one of the first comments made about her physical appearance was that she "looks boyish."

Daniel is out of town right now, so Sarah Emily came with me to the appointment. I think the receptionist thought we were a, err, "non-traditional" type family. The tech may have thought so, too, since we were holding hands and cooing during the ultrasound, like this was both of our child. Sarah Emily is a good friend, and I'm glad she loves my baby so much already. I was happy to have someone there to be excited with me.

During the ultrasound, we did a lot of funny things to try to get the baby to move so we could get a better look. First the tech had me hula an invisible hoop to try to shake the baby up. Later he just started bouncing his hand on my stomach and saying, "wake up, baby!" Eventually, the baby did wake up, and it was so cute to watch him stretch. At one point he was waving at us. Sarah Emily said he was going, "Hey y'all! I'm not gonna let you see anything, m-kay?" We laughed and decided this must mean he is a very modest child.

A few weeks after we found out we were pregnant, Daniel and I went to McKay Used Books to hunt for some of the pregnancy books I wanted. While we were there, Daniel found this book and got very excited, and we made our very first purchase for the baby.




This nostalgic book contains such priceless information as how to make the world's greatest paper airplane, how to tie a knot and how to write in invisible ink. It equips parents to prepare their sons for adventure. It's also pretty darn cute, and will definitely be displayed prominently in our monster's room. Best six bucks we ever spent.

Meanwhile, it appears that the little girl pjs I bought at a consignment sale are going to be passed along to another child. One who's not so "boyish."

6 comments:

  1. I've never been so happy to be wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaaaay! I'm so happy! Even though I was wrong in my bet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes yes yes! Between Daniel, Nate and myself he will be the coolest man-cub on the block. I can't wait! Can I be called uncle Alex (or Al) please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny post! I would save Jeff $$ if I didn't know the bundle is boyish, but it's on....the shopping has begun. Tiny shoes are adorable; just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post! We have that book too but the girl-ish version! Priceless information! I'm so excited for y'all!

    ReplyDelete