Tuesday, May 10, 2011

One Down, Two to Go

I'm now 12 1/2 weeks, and baby and I hit a couple of milestones this week. First of all, at long last, The Bump has begun comparing baby to decent, respectable fruits. This week, baby has reached the size of a plum. This may not sound like much of an accomplishment to anyone who hasn't had a baby in the age of the The Bump, but what you need to understand is that our baby has graduated from being compared to wimpy and often unappetizing foods, such as apple seeds, olives and prunes. Poor Baby Meigs' cuteness has been insulted time and time again, but we're past all that now. We have crossed into the land of sweet, adorable, plump fruits, and no one will ever compare my baby to a prune again if they know what's good for them. Also, about a week ago, Baby Center's artist's renderings of fetal development started looking significantly more baby like, and less like some kind of mutant grub. Baby Meigs is getting more attractive by the minute, as evidenced by those ultrasound pictures, which I just can't stop looking at. Do you guys want to see them again? No? You're sure?? Okay. Here are some labeled pictures of someone else's reproductive system, though. You're welcome. The first picture depicts week nine, while the second is week twelve. See what I mean?

The second milestone is that these next few days in week twelve will be my last days in trimester one. Crossing over to trimester two is something worth celebrating because everyone is projecting a significantly more pleasant existence for me during the coming three months. Legend has it that during the second trimester morning sickness is forever banished, energy returns, and by some accounts, the hormone-induced emotional roller coaster I've been riding levels out. It sounds just like the Promised Land. I hope every word of it is true.

At this point in time, all three of these things take place every day of my life:
1. Nausea, often accompanied by dry heaving. At least I haven't thrown up much, but still... this is getting old.
2. A nap. If I can't take a nap, I develop a miserable headache between 2 and 4 and can think of nothing but my bed and how comfortable it is and how good it would feel to be in a horizontal position.
3. Tears. I'm pretty sure I've cried every single day of my pregnancy so far. It's pitiful. Adele's new album is good, but I suspect it's not really all that sad.

So as I said, I am happy to leave trimester one behind and move on to bigger and better things. Although I'm pretty sure "bigger" is the operative word here.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! for calmer hormones and cuter baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Adele's new album is good, but I suspect it's not really all that sad"........hahaha this made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I am looking forward to new pictures of your baby and indeed will never call him or her a prune! I wish I could be there for your delivery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe we haven't gotten together so I could hear more of your pregnancy stories in person! As soon as all of these weddings are over I'm going to be coming over to your house for daily reports on plum baby.

    ReplyDelete